A Canadian Work permit allows foreign nations to work in Canada for a specific period of time, usually for a specific employer. Getting Canada Work Permit in 2023 is not as hard as it sounds specially if you are located outside Canada.
Canada Work permit is a permission to take a paid work in Canada if someone is not a Permanent Resident of Canada or a Canadian national. As a Foreign worker outside Canada you need to Apply for a Work Permit issued by Canadian Federal Immigration.
Labour Market Impact Assessment:
Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is a permission required for employers in Canada to hire foreign workers to work temporarily for a specific role or position. Occupations with severe labour shortage in the country are LMIA-exempt. Employers do not need to get LMIA approval for those occupations where as many other occupation require an LMIA support to fulfil the Temporary work permit requirements.
If someone need an Approved LMIA for their occupation, employer must provide you with a copy of Labour Market Impact Assessment approval from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC).
Job Offer or Employment Contract Letter:
A Job Offer letter is required in order to process the work permit application. It is an Employment contract between the employee and employer mentioning
- employer name
- job position
- salary / wage
- working hours
- contract duration
- other working conditions and benefits
If your occupation is LMIA-exempt, then your employer must submit the Job Offer to the Employer’s Portal of Canadian Immigration and obtain an Offer of Employment number. This number is required to fill the Work Permit Application. In case, LMIA is required for your job, Employer can provide you the Job offer letter with the LMIA approval letter from ESDC.
Requirements for Canada Work Permit in 2023:
Note that any document not in English or French, must be legally translated and notarized.
- Work Permit Application Form (IMM 1295) for applications from Outside of Canada
- Family Information Form (IMM 5707)
- Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union Form (IMM 5409)
- Use of a Representative Form (IMM 5476) – only required if you are using any representative or consultant
- Authorization to share Information to a Designated person (IMM 5475) – only required if you filled IMM-5476
- Document Checklist (IMM 5488)
The official Checklist of Required Documents for Canada Work Permit can be found Here
- Fees Payment receipt
- Copy of a valid Passport or any other Travel Document
- Two Photographs (as required by Canadian Visa Application Centre)
- Biometrics (Photographs are not required if you give biometrics at Canadian Visa Application Centre)
- Proof of Immigration Status (if you are not living in your home country)
- Marriage Certificate
- Any document to prove that your are qualified for the job position offered
- Copy of Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) and Job Offer Letter
- Or if LMIA-exempt – Copy of Job Offer with Offer of Employment Number
- Job Offer letter from Quebec – Valid Certificate d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) required
- Visa Application Centre may ask for any other supporting document
Biometrics and Photographs:
Each applicant must visit the Canadian Visa Application Centre to provide Biometrics (fingerprints and photographs). Applicant can give Biometrics only after receiving a letter from IRCC to do so.
To receive this letter, applicant must pay the biometric fees along with the Work Permit Application Fees.
Application Fees for Canada Work Permit in 2023:
Work Permit Application Fees – Canadian $155
Biometric Fees – Canadian $85
Fees can be paid online on IRCC website through your Visa or Debit Card. You need to print the receipt of Payment.
How to Apply:
After the payment of required fees, and completion of all applicable forms with other supporting documents, you can either apply at your Visa Application Centre or you can Apply Online directly at the Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada Portal.
Process Time for Canada Work Permit:
Process time of your work permit application depends on the location where you are applying from. The latest process time provided by Canadian Immigration for different countries
- Process time from India – 41 Weeks
- Process time from Pakistan – 37 Weeks
- Process time from Bangladesh – 24 Weeks
- Process time from UAE – 37 Weeks
You can check the process time from your country on IRCC website
The processing time for Canada Work Permit application may change at any time by Canadian Immigration.
Conclusion: Canada Work Permit could be a better option for many, who wish to move to Canada without the hassle of fulfilling tough requirements for any Permanent Residency Pathway. Canada Work Permit holders can stay and work in Canada until their Work Permit is Valid, usually up to 2 years (depending on the job contract).