Province of Alberta introduces New Immigration Program for Tech Workers
Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program introduces a new immigration program for tech workers.
Tyler Shandro, Alberta’s immigration minister announced the Accelerated Tech Pathway on January 13, 2022. AINP is accepting applications under this new program.
Tech professionals should have a Express Entry profile and also qualify for the Alberta Express Entry Stream.
What is Express Entry Canada?
Express Entry is the fastest and most famous pathway for people in search of a great life in Canada. Express Entry program is for people who desire to immigrate to Canada as Permanent Residents.
There is no fees to submit your Express Entry Profile. The most amazing part of Express Entry is that you do not need a Job Offer to create your Express entry profile. Once you get your Express Entry profile number, you will get the scores against your age, studies and work experience. This scoring system is called Comprehensive Ranking System CRS.
Alberta’s New Tech pathway is driven by Express Entry.
“Under this new pathway, tech professionals from in or outside Canada can be eligible for Permanent Residence in a short period of time i.e. 6 months. If they have a job offer in an eligible tech sector occupation.
AINP also issue a letter of support to qualified candidates if they need a Work Permit. More than 3,000 tech sector companies are working in Alberta. This industry has grown 233% since 2012.
How to apply for the Accelerated Tech Pathway
First of all you should be eligible for the Alberta Express Entry Stream to be considered for expedited processing under the Accelerated Tech Pathway. Below are the steps to follow:
1. Create a Profile in Express Entry system
At first you should get into the Express Entry pool. Applicants must be eligible for one of the following 3 immigration programs. Canadian Experience Class, Federal Skilled Worker Program and Federal Skilled Trades Program.
To apply for the Accelerated Tech Pathway, candidate should fill an online form for the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP). Submit the information about your Express Entry profile and tech sector job offer in Alberta.
To be eligible for the tech pathway, applicants should have a job offer in an eligible occupation. Below is the list of occupations.
- 0013 Senior managers – financial, communications and other business services
- 0112 Human resources managers
- 0131 Telecommunication carriers manager
- 0211 Engineering managers
- 0212 Architecture and science managers
- 0213 Computer and information systems managers
- 0512 Managers – publishing, motion pictures, broadcasting and performing arts
- 0601 Corporate sales managers
- 1123 Professional occupations in advertising, marketing and public relations
- 1121 Human resources professionals
- 1223 Human resources and recruitment officers
- 2131 Civil engineers
- 2132 Mechanical engineers
- 2133 Electrical and electronics engineers
- 2147 Computer engineers (except software engineers and designers)
- 2161 Mathematicians, statisticians and actuaries
- 2171 Information systems analysts and consultants
- 2172 Database analysts and data administrators
- 2173 Software engineers and designers
- 2174 Computer programmers and interactive media developers
- 2175 Web designers and developers
- 2221 Biological technologists and technicians
- 2232 Mechanical engineering technologists and technicians
- 2233 Industrial engineering and manufacturing technologists and technicians
- 2241 Electrical and electronics engineering technologists and technicians
- 2253 Drafting technologists and technicians
- 2281 Computer network technicians
- 2282 User support technicians
- 2283 Information systems testing technicians
- 3211 Medical laboratory technologists
- 3212 Medical laboratory technicians and pathologists’ assistants
- 3219 Other medical technologists and technicians (except dental health)
- 4163 Business development officers and marketing researchers and consultants
- 5131 Producers, directors, choreographers and related occupations
- 5241 Graphic designers and illustrators
- 7241 Electricians (except industrial and power system)
- 7242 Industrial electricians
- 7246 Telecommunications installation and repair workers
2. How AINP determines your eligibility
If the AINP determines that the applicant meet the minimum eligibility criteria for the Alberta Express Entry Stream, the AINP will invite you via email to apply for provincial nomination. It is mandatory for you not to apply without having this invitation.
3. How to apply
When you have received the email invitation from Alberta, you will determine whether you meet the assessment criteria. Your applications, if completed, go into eligible applications’ pool. Then these applications are considered by the AINP for a provincial nomination.
If Alberta gives you nomination, you have maximum 30 days to accept using your online Express Entry profile. Then 600 Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) points will automatically be added to your Express Entry score.
After getting nomination there is no guarantee that permanent residence will be granted to you. You will be boosted to the top of the Express Entry pool. When the federal government, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), grants you an Invitation to Apply (ITA) in an Express Entry draw, you can apply for permanent residence.